Beauty and Fun Come Together with Pink Warrior Makeup Artistry.
A few weeks ago we teamed up again with Don Porter for a fun shot with model Raven Rigsby. Don wanted three different hair and makeup looks… and boy were we excited! Raven is a gorgeous natural redhead (we don’t get to work with redheads very often) and an absolute sweetheart.
The first look was more natural. Light contouring of the eyes and a nude lip, completed with a loose beach-wave for the hair.
The second look was a little more glamorous. We darkened up the eyes a bit and added a little contour to the cheeks and more colour to the lips. Her hair was fashioned into a braided up-do with curls framing her face. Doesn’t she look ethereal?
For the final look, we wanted to do something daring. A lot of people say that a natural redhead shouldn’t wear a smoky eye. Well, we think they’re wrong! Cooler colors would definitely wash out her naturally warm skin tone, so we stuck to plums and mauves to achieve her smoky eye. Her cheeks were contoured to perfection and her lips were painted with a bold red. Lastly, her hair was round brushed for extra volume in a vintage Hollywood glam style. Raven is 100% Femme Fatale.
Don Porter Photography:
Ok so WE didn’t go to Paris but…
Back in September we had the amazing opportunity to do hair and makeup for Charlotte fashion designer Luis Machicao’s Fall 2018 collection. Luis wanted a very vintage look for our model, Erica, so we went with a voluminous up-swept ‘do and 40’s Hollywood glam inspired makeup. Don Porter Photography killed this session and created the Lookbook that was presented at Paris Fashion Week!!
It was a very fast paced day! In just two and a half hours over twenty of Mr. Machicao’s lovely designs were modeled and photographed. Check out some of the shots and don’t forget to check out the designer and photographer!
Luis Machicao Couture:
Don Porter Photography:
If you are new to airbrushing like we once were, you may have encountered the same problem we did; your airbrush inexplicably gets clogged every time you use it. No matter how many times you clean it or take it apart, the makeup just won’t come out! Hopefully you haven’t done what we did and bought several different machines out of the belief that they were broken… They weren’t.
One problem actually lies in the viscosity of the makeup itself and/or the size of the needle.
Viscosity is the thinness or thickness of a liquid. Different brands of airbrush makeup vary widely in viscosity. Some feel more watery and others feel like heavy cream. Keep in mind that shimmery or metallic makeup may have larger particles within the liquid itself that can cause the airbrush to clog as well.
If your makeup is too thick for your airbrush gun, you simply need to buy a new gun with an end nozzle that has a larger opening.
There is also the issue of different types of airbrush liquids that don’t “mix”. Some may be silicone based and others water based and that means trouble for your airbrush gun!
Just a little advice from those of us that have done – oh about a million weddings! (Give or take)
- Do give your phone to someone else if you can on the day of your wedding. You need to enjoy your special day plus if you are constantly distracted it’s hard to finish getting ready!
- Don’t stress about the little things. Like a pimple. Most every bride we have has some type of skin “issue” the day of – but we can take care of it – Promise!
- Do drink lots of water and try to get some rest well before your wedding day! We know you have lots to do but dehydration can be horrible for your body and your skin.
- Do wax your eyebrows (if you want) – But do it about a week prior to the wedding! The freshly waxed skin doesn’t stick to the makeup like the rest of your face!
- Don’t stay quiet if there is something that you just don’t like about your hair and/or makeup. Be honest with us because our job is to make your day as beautiful as possible. We can handle it.
- Do ask your bridal party to allow us to finish everyone before doing touch-ups or fixing loose hair – we will get to all of it at the end…but constant interruptions can slow things down. We will make sure that everyone gets their final “prep”.
- Don’t forget it’s YOUR day – we sure won’t!
- Do have a facial if you like . If you have never had one please do one several weeks prior to the wedding day. No one likes to be surprised with an allergic reaction. If all is good with the first one, then have your facial any time before the wedding.
- Don’t worry about bringing your own makeup or supplies. We bring it all – so all you have to do is sit back and relax.
- Do HAVE FUN!!! We love to joke around while getting everyone “beautified”. If you want a super serious beauty team that never cracks a smile or won’t hold a conversation…we aren’t it!
And as always….
Be Strong. Be Beautiful.
Pink Warrior was blessed to be a part of a very special day for an incredibly strong woman. Ashley has been battling breast cancer and her friends and loved ones thought there was no better way to celebrate than to schedule a photo session with Casey Hendrickson. Casey, a photographer in the Charlotte area of North Carolina then asked if Pink Warrior could do makeup for this beautiful woman. It was a fun day and all the photos were breathtaking. Thank you Ashley for allowing us to be a part of your journey!
Ashley still needs support!
Photo Credits: Casey Hendrickson Photography